Chairman, Nigeria’s House of Representatives Committee on Diaspora Matters, Honourable Tolulope Akande-Sadipe has confirmed participation at the Journalists International Forum For Migration (JIFORM) summit slated for Ibadan on October 15, 2020.
According to JIFORM, the lawmaker ranks among leading voices on migration matters on the continent.
The event is to be chaired by foremost international speaker, Professor Patrick Lumumba from Kenya with participation from former immigration minister in Canada, Hon. Gerry Weiner as well the Comptroller General, Nigeria Immigration Service, Muhammad Babandede, MFR and other international personalities.
Also listed for participation is the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), Gambia and Nigeria.
JIFORM, a global media body focusing on migration with over 200 journalists across the continents in a statement issued by its Publicity Secretary Salemfly Salem, an international journalist with a French broadcasting outfit said the body was excited by the humility of the Nigerian lawmaker.
“We have been monitoring her advocacy on diaspora matters and we are happy to have her on board with other distinguished personalities. The summit is aimed at bringing various stakeholders to chart a new course for migration issues across the globe especially in the areas of human trafficking and irregular migration”.
Samfly added that the resume of the lawmaker was a rich compendium necessary for national growth.
On 13th June, 2019, Hon. Akande-Sadipe was inaugurated into the House of Representatives of Nigeria representing the Oluyole Federal Constituency of Ibadan, Oyo State. She is the Chairperson of the House Committee on Diaspora.
She is passionate about the welfare of the girl child and ending human trafficking and changing the negative narratives on Nigeria and the African continent.
She also has strong philanthropic inclination which she fulfils through a charity fund to financially assist orphans and other disadvantaged members of society to meet their health and education needs. She is a recipient of several commendations such as:
- Merit Award of Honour by Olurinde General Landlords and Ladies Association for recognition of her outstanding Contributions to the growth of the community and it environs in general
- Certificate of Merit Award by Miss Oyo Organization For winning the 2019 Oyo State Outstanding Federal Representative of the year
- Gold Merit Award by Professional Bags Manufacturers Association of Nigeria in Honour and recognition of your immeasurable selfless service, Exemplary leadership and outstanding contribution towards the association.
- Outstanding Professional Award by Oluyole Youth Council in appreciation of an invaluable and distinguish contribution to the growth and Development of Humanity and Integrity
- Certificate of Excellence by Nigeria in Diaspora Organization (NIDO) in recognition of her meritorious and outstanding contribution to the Nigerian Community in Switzerland.
- Award of Excellence by Olurunkemi Youth Development Forum Zone 4 in recognition of her willingness to help and develop the Society.
- Award of Excellence by OmiyaleOpeAgbe Youth Community for her immense contribution to the development of humanity in General
- Award of Excellence by OYOYO Africa Global Initiative in recognition towards Africa’s Unity and Peace
- Certificate of honour by Nigeria Association of Women Journalist (NAWOJ) Oyo State as a Vanguard of Gender Empowerment
- Official citation by the Maryland general Assembly USA in recognition of the outstanding leadership in the African Diaspora Community
- Official citation by the Maryland General Assembly, USA in recognition of the amazing action and legacy projects to her constituents and the diaspora community at large
- Official citation by the Maryland General Assembly, USA in recognition her impactful initiative and special attention to ending Human trafficking, with her philanthropic desire to assist orphans and other disadvantaged members of the society, helping to meet their health and educational needs
- Tribute of recognition her dedication to service by the Governor of the State of Delaware, USA
- Congratulatory award by the Auditors of Account of the State on her Economic & Professional Contributions in Delaware
- Received the Great Seal of the State of Delaware, USA from the Governor.
- Received the Seal of the City of Wilmington, Delaware from the mayor Michaels Purzycki.
Since taking the oath of office as a Member, Federal House of Representative, the following are some of her achievements thus far:
- Motion on the need to ascertain Nigeria in Diaspora remittances and its impact on the nation’s economy
- Motion on recent attacks on Nigerian Traders in Circle Market, Ghana
- Motion on the need to release abused Nigerian women in Lebanon prevented from returning home
- Amendment of a motion to tackle sexual harassment of children and minors
- Amendment of a motion on the issue of insecurity in Zamfara state to be all inclusive across the Nation
- Contributed at the National Assembly on the Issue of Xenophobia, and urged the Federal Government to create additional air lifting opportunities to evacuate our citizens who are stranded in South Africa
- Contributed at the National Assembly on the recent increase in the spate of sexual violence against women & girls, proposed and amendment to advocate for security officers to be held culpable if they use their office to aide and abate rapist
- Petition on the floor of the house on the delay and poor construction of Ijebu Igbo-Itaegba-Owonowem Road, Olomi Ibadan
- Petition on the floor for the rescue of four missing Nigerians in Cameroon and Gabon
- Petition on the floor and Appeal to the Saudi Government over the release of Sulaimon Olufemi who has been forgotten on death row in Saudi Arabia.
- Investigative action on the treatment of Nigerians in Lebanon and the refusal to allow Some Nigerian citizens exit Lebanon.
- Investigative action into the FERMA construction work constituency project on the Odo-Ona Elewe Idi-Iroko OlugbemiAdewole (Liberty Academy) Road
- Steering the legislative mandates of the committee on Diaspora to take cognizance of oversight functions in line with new international realities.
- Investigative hearings with relevant agencies and corporate organizations to ascertain the actual Diaspora remittances between 2016 – 2019
- Oversight Hearing with the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) to discuss their mode of operations in the diaspora.
- Investigative hearing with relevant agencies and Amnesty International on the release of Sulaimon Olufemi who has been forgotten on death row in Saudi Arabia
- Engaged the relevant agencies on the issue of Nigerians Detained at The Maca Prison, Yipogan Town, Abidjan, Côte D’ivoire
- Engaged the relevant agencies on the Nigerians Girls Discovered in Modern Slavery in Lebanon And Oman
- Engaged the relevant agencies on the need to investigate a claim by Prof. Abiodun Olukoya on the recurring injustice, victimization and attempt of forceful removal by the South African Government
- Engaged the relevant agencies on the release and safe return of Omolola Ajayi (a trafficked Nigerian girl in Lebanon) back to Nigeria.
- Engaged the relevant agencies on the release of Ariwolo Olamide Temitope, 31 (a woman who had bloodied image circulated on social media in April after a dispute with her employer due to several refusals to her employer’s sexual harassment and advancement) and Nine (9) other women who were prevented from boarding the flight to Nigeria from Lebanon due to claims from their employers.
- Collaborating with relevant stakeholders to ensure Diaspora Voting becomes a reality.
- Conducted a thorough investigation report on the alleged maltreatments of Nigerians in China.
- Participated in the Nigerians in Diaspora (NIDO) 59th Independence Day and Cultural Evening held in Geneva, Switzerland (2019)
- Participated in the Malcom X Commemorative Session of the Pan-African Unity Dialogue (PAUD) in New York, USA (2020)
- Participated in the Unveiling the Door Event in celebration of Black History Month in Maryland, USA (2020)
Whilst she has also contributed to the socio-economic development of her constituents by:
- Empowerment of over 500 women and youths in various competencies
- Monthly Welfare support for constituents
- Sponsored Medical Outreach programs & distribution free of medicines for constituents
- Educational support and remedial tutoring classes for Secondary school Students
- Sponsorship of Students for the West African Examination Council Exams and the National Examination Council Exams
- N25million Scholarship Scheme for Undergraduates
- Sponsored Sporting events and Sporting viewing centers
- Facilitated the construction and renovation of Schools e.gTemidireAgbamu Model Secondary School
- Construction of Public Toilet facilities for Ara-Oje Community Primary School
- Rehabilitation of Health Care facilities e.g. Baare Health Centre
- Rehabilitation of community social facilities e.g. Baare Town Hall
- Agricultural development e.g Empowerment of Rice Farmers. Training and Startup funding across the Agriculture Value Chain
- Palliative rehabilitation of road infrastructure across the constituency
- Book drive to set up a Study Center and Teenage Book Club
- Fund-raising drive for a loan scheme for Agriculture Initiatives and Female SME’s Empowerment
- Fundraising drive for the Abdul Mojeed Olalekan Akande Youth Empowerment and Training Initiative.
- Facilitated the workshop on Agricultural Products Conformity Assessment and Certification in conjunction with Nicert Expert Consulting.
- Distributed deep freezer to constituent to boost their SME businesses
- Sports Development in Oluyole – supported the Oluyole Football team at the recent Oyo State Cup in Ogbomosho
- Donated materials to Lako Community for the construction of the bridge linking Lako and Abeku community together
- Flagged off the construction of additional 3 – classroom buildings in Alaho Grammar School and Ayegun/Oleyo Primary School
- Provision of Hand Sanitizers in markets across Oluyole Federal Constituency
- Donation of Plasma Televisions to the new ElesuAtagba Police Station
- Covid 19 Pandemic Water Relief to locations in Oluyole
- Covid 19 Pandemic cash relief to constituents
- Flagged of the rehabilitation of 200m Odo-Ono Elewe Road (Taska) and Engaged FERMA on the quality and rehabilitation distance.
window.fbAsyncInit = function()
appId : ‘348280475330978’,
autoLogAppEvents : true,
xfbml : true,
version : ‘v3.0’
var penciCommentCallback = function ( response )
FB.Event.subscribe( ‘comment.create’, penciCommentCallback );
FB.Event.subscribe( ‘comment.remove’, penciCommentCallback );
(function ( d, s, id )
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName( s );
if ( d.getElementById( id ) )
js = d.createElement( s );
js.id = id;
fjs.parentNode.insertBefore( js, fjs );
window.fbAsyncInit = function ()
( document, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’ ));
Read the original article HERE