Swiss tennis player Roger Federer is now the world’s highest-paid athlete.
According to Forbes, Federer earned £5million in prize money alongside £81m from endorsements and appearance fees in 2019
Federer received $106 million of pre-tax earnings, edging past footballers Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.
Neymar took 4th, with the NBA’s LeBron James, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant at Nos. 5-7, followed by Tiger Woods at No. 8.
Federer is the first tennis player in the 30-year history to land at No. 1 after drawing $100 million off the court, thanks to deals with Uniqlo, Credit Suisse and Mercedes-Benz and 10 other partners.
Athletes from 21 countries and 10 sports make the final cut this year, as do two women — Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams – the first time more than one woman has made the ranks since 2016, when Williams appeared with Maria Sharapova.
FORBES TOP SPORT EARNERS IN 2020
1. Roger Federer (tennis) — $159.5 million
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (football) — $157.5 million
3. Lionel Messi (football) $156 million
4. Neymar (football) — $143 million
5. LeBron James (basketball) — $132 million
6. Stephen Curry (basketball) — $112 million
7. Kevin Durant (basketball) — $96 million
8. Tiger Woods (golf) — $93 million
9. Kirk Cousins (NFL) — $91 million
10. Carson Wentz (NFL) — $89 million
Read the original article HERE