Victims of Kuje Flood Seek FG Intervention, As 60 Houses were Destroyed 

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin
Share on telegram
Share on pinterest

Victims of flood at the Riverside Community  along Kuje Road have called on the FCT Minister and other relevant agencies of the federal government to come to their aid as over 60 houses were destroyed and residents rendered homeless in the community.

Some of the residents who spoke with newsmen in Abuja, said this was the first time such an incident was happening in the community, adding that they need shelter.

Mr Simon Omale, a Retired Warrant Officer, said all his life savings after retirement was used to build houses for rent which were all destroyed.

According to him, “On July 25, 2020, we woke up to see flood overwhelming us, the water was coming both back and front, the level of the water was uncontrollable. This compound was what I invested all I had after my 31 years of service in the Navy, the flat is on rent, this is where I get money to take care of my family and my aging parents.

“As you can see there are no single tenants again, they have left because there is nowhere they can lay their head, the water was upto the ceiling in the rooms and outside.

“The flood was caused by the Dam that was opened because we have never experienced that before, we really want the government to help us by relocating us as a short time solution, but for a long term solution, I will suggest that the water be dredged so that the water can go deep, even with the water retaining wall the flood destroyed it.”

Omale said that a lot of the victims had farm land that was destroyed by the flood rendering them homeless, noting that NEMA officials came around and wrote names of displaced victims but did not come around afterwards.

“The NEMA people came and wrote names, they said we will hear from the Government but until now, we have not heard anything. All we are asking is for the minister of FCT to help us because we are homeless”, he said.

Also speaking, Mr Joseph Okeji, the Chairman of the Community,  said that people have been living in the community for over 30years now and there had been no case of flood since.

He called on the government to come to their aid to assist all the tenants and landlords affected by the flood.

“This is the first time in history this is happening— that we are experiencing flooding which has rendered both tenants and Landlords homeless. We want the  government to help those of us that are homeless”, he said.

Another resident,  Mr. Nuhu Yahaya, however, pleaded with the government that they have no place to go, adding that NEMA should come to their aid since they were there early to take down their names immediately after the flood occurred. 

He further stated that 60 houses were affected by the flood.

Read the original article HERE

Related Articles

Leave a Reply